It was a great sermon, I mean really great. I wish you could have been there! But I hope you can find some inspiration in these notes. See below:
Businesses will do inventory after the first of the y ear so they can make necessary changes. Today is one day closer to our death, one day closer to Jesus' return; one day closer to standing before God's judgment seat.
Look back at what has happened this year and ask yourself these questions.
1. Have I gotten closer to God? We have to be seeking God. We have to read His word.
2. How was your prayer life in 2016?
3. What's your relationship with your brothers and sisters in Christ? Especially those in your local church body?
4. What's your relationship with with people who aren't part of the Church? Those who need Jesus Christ? Those who God brings into your life?
"You are the salt of the earth" Matthew 5:13a
We should be letting the light shine.
When people need light, they should know where they can go to get some light.
How can we be better, brighter bolder? Be honest. This is the time to examine ourselves (not condemn ourselves -- find the places where we can improve).
But don't beat yourself up.
How long will I give it a try? Am I going to persevere?
You're either growing or dying.
Work hard. Work at it. If there's something we can't do we learn how. We work at it. Today is now. What can we do? What can we learn to do better?
What we should do this year:
1. Grow in the Word.
2 Timothy 3:14-17
We need to be well-equipped workers. Ask God to show you something in the Word today. We must read our Bible daily.
2. Pray. Ask yourself, how would you teach someone to pray? Show them. Do it. To get better at prayer just do it.
3. We must try to get closer to our brothers and sisters in Christ. This takes us to be honest and vulnerable and humble. We need to be engaged. We need to open up to each other. Pray for those you see who are having a bad day.
4. Sharing the gospel with people. How do you share anything with anyone? I gotta open up and expose my heart? What does it take for you to share your heart? You gotta trust a person. They won't bear their need for Christ to you unless they trust you and believe you care about them.
"I don't care what it looks like. I don't care what you think" (Jesus to those who criticized him)
I know they need Jesus so I have to build relationships with people who don't know Jesus. It's not an accident who you live next to; who you see every day. It's God saying, "Here you go! Here's your opportunity."
Where do I need to grow?
Who can I talk to? Who can I open up to?
Let 2016 be a year of conquest!