English is a very efficient language -- uses the same word for a multiple of meanings. It is subject based. Hebrew is action based. For Example the word LOVE in Hebrew as four meanings, four different words. In The King James Bible it was translated from Hebrews to Greek to Latin to English. Lots gets lost in translation. We miss some of the nuances of the original language.
The names God was named were based in what He did -- His actions. We need to learn and understand His different names to understand God. We get to know Him better through His actions.
Knowing the names of God allows us to identify the attributes of God. Following is a very Incomplete list of God's names:
1. YHWH -- Yahweh = the Eternal One, the "I AM"' the Beginning and the End; Always. This is the sacred name of God. It means The Lord. Used 6519 times in the Bible. Often replaced by Jehovah (which is Latin for Yahweh).
2. Adonai -- this is the plural form of Adon. Meaning Lord and Master (plural). Used 434 times in the Bible, 200 in Ezekiel alone.
3. Jehova Rapha -- The Lord who heals.
"He said, “If you listen carefully to the Lord your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the Lord, who heals you.”" Exodus 15:26
4. Jehova Shammah -- The Lord is here. The Lord is there. The Lord who is present with me NOW.
“The distance all around will be 18,000 cubits.[a]
“And the name of the city from that time on will be:
the Lord is there.” Ezekiel 48:35
"The Lord is there" is another name for Jerusalem.
5. Jehovah Tsikenu -- The Lord our Righteousness
"In his days Judah will be saved
and Israel will live in safety.
This is the name by which he will be called:
The Lord Our Righteous Savior." Jeremiah 23:6
El = God. But it is never used by itself.
6. El Olam -- Everlasting God, Eternal One; Ancient of Days
7. Elohim -- The Creator and the Judge (used 2000 times in the Old Testament). Both applied at the same time.
8. Jehova Jireh -- The Lord Who Provides.
9. Jehova Raah -- The Lord our Shepherd.
Believing without Seeing and Getting Closer to God -- these 2 things are our Faith.
Salvation is just the beginning of our faith!! It is the beginning of getting to know God intimately. He's a many faceted God.
10. Jehova Mekoodishken -- The Lord Who Sanctifies You.
11. El Shaddai -- The Lord God Almighty. The God above all gods; The Warrior God.
12. El Elyon -- Most High God.
The LORD is my shepherd (Jehovah Roi) - The great Shepherd of the sheep
I shall not want. (Jehovah Jireh) - Our provider!
He makes me lie down in green pastures Again Jehovah Jireh, our provider. And (Jehovah Shalom) - Our peace.
He leads me beside quiet waters. Definitely Jehovah Shalom - Peace!
He restores my soul (Jehovah Rapha) - Our healer and restorer
He guides me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake (Jehovah Tsidkenu) - Our righteousness
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil Again, Jehovah Shalom - Peace instead of fear in difficult times
For You are with me (Jehovah Shammah) - He who is there present with us
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me Jehovah Shalom - Peace
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies (Jehovah Nissi) - Our victor and banner
You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows (Jehovah Jireh) - Our provider
Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life.
And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. Finally - In HIS presence for all time - (Jehovah Shammah) - The One who is present and there with His people!
13. Jehova Ezar -- The Lord my help.
14. Jehova Kaddash -- The Lord My Holiness.
15. Jehova Manah -- The Lord my portion.
16. Jehova Chelek -- The Lord my inheritance.
There is power in the name of the Lord!
When He comes back He will have a new name!! Maybe it will means "He's back!"